FredericDH

Document could not be flattened ??

0 votes
Hi! When sending some eSignLive packages (.NET SDK), here is the error message I receive for some of the packages I send (it works for others :-S) What does it mean that my document could not be flattened ? is there a preprocessing I should be doing so that the document can be flattened ? Thanks {Silanis.ESL.SDK.EslServerException: Could not upload document to package. Exception: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. HTTP POST on URI https://sandbox.esignlive.com/api/packages/PZexo1N_8CWKktm9F0xlmeoarug=/documents. Optional details: {"messageKey":"error.validation.verifyDocument.couldNotBeFlattened","message":"Could not upload PDF document: it contains a syntax error preventing proper processing of its data.","code":400,"name":"Validation Error"} ---> Silanis.ESL.SDK.EslServerException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

Approved Answer

Reply to: Document could not be flattened ??

0 votes
I'm not exactly sure which one should be set to allowed and not allowed but you should definitely have "Changing the Document" set the allowed. That's why I said that everything should be set to allowed so you don't run into any issues in the future.
Haris Haidary OneSpan Technical Consultant

0 votes
Hi Frederic, Would you be able to share your document for which this error is happening so I can have a look at it? Please make sure when doing so that there isn't any sensitive information in the pdf.

0 votes
Hi Haris, Please find attached the document (in PDF format) that I am trying to send in an eSignLive package). It doesn't contain any sensitive data as it is for test purposes Thanks Frederic

Attachments

0 votes
The issue is because you're trying to upload a locked document to esignlive. If you open your document in Adobe Reader and head over to Properties, everything in the "Document Restrictions Summary" should be set to allowed (in the Security tab).

0 votes
Haris, Thanks for your answer. However, it seems to work for a document that has some of the fields set to not allowed, could you specify which one that MUST be set to "Allowed" ? Thanks Frederic

0 votes
Haris, Since the end of february (February 27th to be exact), I am not receiving this error anymore : “messageKey”:”error.validation.verifyDocument.couldNotBeFlattened”,” when sending a document with restrictions. Was anything changed on your end to accept documents with restrictions ? Thanks

Attachments

0 votes
Anyone ? Hello ?

0 votes
Hey Frederic, Sorry for the delay. Haris joined another team, here at OneSpan and isn't in here every day and may have not gotten the notification from the site. Is this an issue for you, now that you're not receiving an error when trying to upload a document? Please let me know!

- Michael

Director, Partner and Developer Technologies, OneSpan

Facebook - Twitter - LinkedIn

0 votes
Michael, Thanks for your response. No, it is not an issue, but I would appreciate to know what was changed in eSignLive's API that made this error disappear. Do you think it would be possible to have that information ? Frederic

0 votes
To help me investigate or provide the appropriate response, were you receiving this error in sandbox and production? Or just in sandbox?

- Michael

0 votes
I only have a a Sandbox/developer account and it was occurring on this one.

0 votes
Alright. I figured this to be the case. The change that happened was with Sandbox only. When a locked document came into the Sandbox, the OSS application immediately attempted to edit the document (adding the Sandbox watermark). This caused an error that did not exist in production as the Sandbox watermark is not added there. A change was made to handle the order differently in Sandbox to flatten the locked document, first, then, apply the Sandbox watermark. So, anyone, like yourself, testing in Sandbox would have noticed a change in this, potentially. This, however, does not change anything in the actual product's handling of locked documents, just makes them usable from Sandbox. PDF syntax issues and some other things in the document that cause problems with the flattening process WILL still return this error in both Sandbox and production. Hope this helps! :)

- Michael

0 votes
Not a problem! Just let us know whenever you have questions! :)

- Michael

Hello! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but haven't signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off