sinazza

Sign a PDF file on behalf of someone

0 votes
Hello, Is it possible to sign a document without having the signer to go through the process and click on a signature box? For instance, we have a website, a user fills the forms, we display a preview to the user and ask for confirmation and the user click on the confirm button. At this point, we create a pre-filled PDF file from the HTML codes. So now, is it possible for us to pass that dynamically generated PDF file to eSignLive and get back the signed version? The objectives are: 1. Eliminate the need to send empty form fields with the array of corresponding values. The PDF file is already filled. 2. Eliminate the need for the user to go through the signing process himself. If the signature box is necessary, my understanding is, we can add it through the APIs using the Text Anchors endpoint. Am I right? Thank you for your support. Any details about the possible API methods that can be used to achieve this is appreciated. Regards, Sina

Approved Answer

Reply to: Sign a PDF file on behalf of someone

0 votes
Hi Sina, Package and document are different concepts, as a package can contain multiple documents. When you retrieve a package json payload, you can see documents information in a json array named "documents". From top to down, you can have account level, package level, document level, approval level(signature field) these concepts. Yes, to bulk sign for a signer, you need to send the package first. If you don't want to send email notifications to signers, you can turn off this function by sending an email to [email protected]. To notice, email notifications are on an account level, in other words, if you choose to turn off email notifications, it will be applied for every package you create. After that, you can just simply create a normal package, send it and follow the three steps in guidance to sign for your signer(s). Hope this could help you!

Duo Liang OneSpan Evangelism and Partner Integrations Developer

0 votes
Hi Sina, Yes, If you don't want to use form fields in your pdf, the technology we suggest to apply here is Text Anchors or simply you can assign the x/y coordinates of your signing box. And for the "sign a document without having the signer to go through the process", I think you are talking about Bulk Sign for a Signer, by using one call, you can sign all the signature approvals on behalf of your client, and the audit trail will show it's your application's IP who signed all the document. Before you follow this route, please talk to your legal department to see if it's suitable for your application. To sign on behalf of your client, you can follow the three steps clarified in our guidance: 1. Retrieve a Authentication Token for the signer 2. Use this token to generate a Session Token 3. Use session token as a cookie header to sign on behalf of your client. Hope this could help you!

0 votes
Hi Liang, I just figured simply putting Text Tags using esl grammar actually does the job for adding a signature field. I've also read the bulk sign documentation. Based on my understanding, a package must be sent to a signer first. Then the package id can be used to retrieve a token and so on. Do the terms package and document have different meanings? I mean how can we sign a package on behalf of a signer if we need to send that package before retrieving the token? Or is it like sending a package without any documents and then sign the documents after obtaining the token? Thanks for you answer and for pointing out the possible legal complications. Regards, Sina

0 votes
Thank you Liang, you were very helpful.

0 votes
You are very welcome! Always feel free to make a post talking about your issues! Duo

0 votes
Hi Duo, I've followed the procedure, successfully created a package with a document included. Successfully retrieved the token, successfully retrieved the Cookie header but then at the very final call, here is the error I'm getting:
{
    "messageKey": "error.validation.signatureData",
    "message": "Signature data is not populated.",
    "code": 400,
    "name": "Validation Error"
}
I can see that the signature field is already in there (attached) and the document id is the one that I declared on the very first call (sample-contract) alongside with the 'default-consent'. Could you please have a look and please let me know if you need more details. Thank you, Sina

0 votes
Hi Sina, I saw that you were trying to add a capture signature into the document. Before we go any further down this route, can you tell me more details about the use case for this? Duo

0 votes
Hi Duo, Sure it's following our earlier conversation in this thread regarding having the document signed behind the scenes without asking the user to go through the process manually. So our workflow is as follows: In our website we ask the user to fill out some HTML forms. At some point we show him a preview of the information he has provided. We ask him to click on a Confirm button. If confirmed, we don't want the user to do anything else. Now we (our system) create a PDF file based on user's information. We wish to add signature fields to that PDF file using OpenSpan's APIs (In this case I used text tags). Then sign that PDF on behalf of the user, so that he doesn't manually go through the process. After that hopefully we can download the singed file and provide it to the user. The big picture is to simplify the process. Only showing a confirm button to users and do the rest of the work ourselves. We don't need to capture users' signatures through iFrames or anything. All in all, at this point I was only trying to do the signing using the bulk sign documentation as you suggested. Thank you, Sina

1 votes
Hi Sina, If that is the case, the first reason I found caused your error is, you are putting a CAPTURE signature block into the document(request handdrawn value in payload), that's why OneSpan Sign couldn't read the signature data from your final step request. Duo

0 votes
Hi Duo, Thank you, you are great. For anybody else with the same issue: I should have used "signature" instead of "capture" in the text tag. For instance, {{esl:signer1:signature:size(200, 30)}} Cheers, Sina

Hello! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but haven't signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off