Chris

Validation Error when using a dynamically generated PDF

0 votes
Hello, we have a scenario where we use ABCpdf to load a PDF document, populate form field values in the document and then use the document in an eSign package. When we try to send the package we receive a "Bad Request" response back:
Could not upload document to package. Exception: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
Optional details: {"entity":null,"packageId":null,"messageKey":"error.validation.verifyDocument.hasNeedAppearancesFlag","technical":null,"message":"This document has the \"NeedAppearances\" flag set. This has negative implications concerning the security of the signatures, and cannot be accepted.","code":400,"name":"Validation Error"}
The error message indicates the NeedAppearances flag is the cause of the exception. But when debugging and inspecting this property in the ABCpdf object I see the NeedAppearances property is set to true before populating the form fields. Using a document without populating form fields, where NeedAppearances is already set to true, the exception does not occur. Next, I tried populating the form fields and then set NeedAppearences to false, but I still receive the same exception. I don't know what conclusion to draw from this. Any insights to what is going on?

Reply to: Validation Error when using a dynamically generated PDF

0 votes
Okay, so the three scenarios are: Need appearances is set to true, you fill out the form, upload to eSL and get an exception. Need appearances is set to true, you don't fill out form, upload to eSL and no exception. Need appearances is set to true, you fill out the form, change need appearances to false, upload to eSL and get exception. Is this correct?

- Michael

Director, Partner and Developer Technologies, OneSpan

Facebook - Twitter - LinkedIn

0 votes
Thank you Michael. That is correct. I sent an email to support Tuesday and the question was also passed to our relationship contact on Wednesday, I believe. That may mean three different people could be working on the issue.

0 votes
I just received a phone call from support and will be working directly with them.

0 votes
Their support team is very kind, I have this the same issue before and glad that they are not hard to reach and they attended to my concern almost immediately.
Your Doorstep Printer| http://www.digitekprinting.com/

0 votes
hello. experiencing the same issuer here
{"messageKey":"error.validation.verifyDocument.hasNeedAppearancesFlag","message":"This document has the \"NeedAppearances\" flag set. This has negative implications concerning the security of the signatures, and cannot be accepted.","code":400,"name":"Validation Error”}
what was the resolution? Quick observation: one of our existing documents will submit successfully when creating a package using the REST API (Python), but will fail when using the portal page when "add" document to transaction is used. the following error is received: See attached Image thanks for any insight.

0 votes

0 votes
Looks like the image didn't attach. I'll check with support to see if they have a record of the solution. I stopped looking into this one after Chris said he was working directly with support on it. Mel or Chris, if you have any insight into the issue, feel free to post your solution. :)

- Michael

0 votes
The resolution to our issue was that we needed to set the NeedAppearances flag in ABCpdf before making any other changes to the PDF.

0 votes
Thanks, Chris! rdediana, let me know if this doesn't help you.

- Michael

Hello! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but haven't signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off