Scenario 3. Create Beneficiary
The scenario showcases possible transaction fraud with untrusted beneficiaries. In this case, a new beneficiary is created, followed by a large monetary transaction to this new beneficiary.
Scenario actor: Cary CASH
About this scenario - requests
The scenario consists of four requests that are sent to Risk Analytics. In the first two requests (RA_0301.a. and RA_0301.b.), Cary CASH successfully logs in to her banking application.
Cary CASH proceeds with a new beneficiary attempt in request RA_0302., which is accepted (Response = 0), but silently triggers a beneficiary management alert.
Finally (request RA_0303.), Cary CASH attempts to transfer a large sum of money to the yet-untrusted new beneficiary. As the bank chooses not to process large monetary transactions until new beneficiaries are internally trusted by the bank, the transaction is challenged via SMS (response code: ChallengeSMS, Response = 3).
To analyse the rules triggered and alerts raised for the scenario, log on to Risk Analytics Presentation Service and navigate to SUPERVISE & INVESTIGATE > My Alerts.
- RA_0302 Attempt to Create New Beneficiary in the Beneficiary Management Alerts alert queue, raised by the matching non-monetary events rule RA_0302 Attempt to Create New Beneficiary
- RA_0303 Attempt a too big Transfer to a Not Trusted Beneficiary in the High Risk Transactions alert queue, raised by the matching transactions rule RA_0303 Attempt a too big Transfer to a Not Trusted Beneficiary
Walkthrough: Flag a new beneficiary attempt
To flag a new event, follow these steps:
Flag a new beneficiary attempt as genuine
- Navigate to SUPERVISE & INVESTIGATE > Score Analysis.
- In the Event Type column, identify the NewBeneficiaryAttempt event for the CC_ACCOUNT_REF_03 account.
- Click on the pencil icon in the Action column.
- Select Genuine from the Fraud Disposition column
- Click on the disk icon (SAVE) in the Action column.
- Verify the action:
- To display all events related to Cary CASH, navigate to My Alerts.
- In the Events table, select the Cary CASH name link for the NewBeneficiaryAttempt event.
The value in the Fraud Disposition column for the challenged new beneficiary attempt is now Genuine and the row related to this alert is highlighted in color.
- In the Case Management section, click High Risk Transactions; there, you can highlight the event which raised the High Risk Transactions alert.
- Click on the event ID to display the ExternalTransfer event details in a new browser window/tab.
Close the newly opened window/tab to continue.