serg

How to handle smaller text fields when viewing on a mobile device?

0 votes
I have a particular document/form that has a few different fields which are of a small size, namely: date, year and state. I've created the text fields via the Java SDK as well as using the Designer and have noticed that when signing using a mobile phone, I am unable to see the text that I am entering - even with the device in a landscape orientation. I've attached an MS Word document with a sample, as well as a screenshot from an iPhone 6 in landscape mode showing that the characters are partially obscured. Are there recommended sizes for smaller two to four character data entry fields? Are there any known workarounds that I might be able to use? I tried dropdown lists, but they also have display problems on mobile. Unfortunately I'm in a highly regulated industry, so changing the actual form (and thus spacing) is not trivial.

Approved Answer

Reply to: How to handle smaller text fields when viewing on a mobile device?

2 votes
Using UNBOUND_TEXT_FIELD, I am also unable to see the input characters (using your document). However, I was able to get around that with
field.setStyle(FieldStyle.TEXT_AREA)
with size of 40x30 . I was able to see the input characters in both portrait and landscape orientation. See my attachments. Let me know if this works for you.
Haris Haidary OneSpan Technical Consultant

Attachments
IMG_2225.png187.27 KB
IMG_2226.png207.58 KB

0 votes
Using your document that you provided, I was able to fit a two character text field in the area reserved for "State" with a size of 40x30. I was able to view the input text in both portrait and landscape mode on an iPhone 6 plus and Samsung Galaxy S5. Hope it helps!

0 votes
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't seem to work in my case. I tried variations on the 40x30 size and still could not see the output on a few devices (iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung S6) in both landscape and portrait orientation with both modes clipping some of the text that was entered. Here's an example code snippet: FieldValidator dateList = new FieldValidator(); exemptDate.setStyle(FieldStyle.UNBOUND_TEXT_FIELD); exemptDate.setPage(page); exemptDate.setX(418); exemptDate.setY(130); exemptDate.setHeight(30); exemptDate.setWidth(40); exemptDate.setId(new FieldId("exemptDate")); ... fields.add(exemptDate); signature.addFields(fields); doc.addSignatures(signatures); Is there some left/right justification flag that I might be missing? Here's my example (note - once the signature has been confirmed, all of the data is visible, however, while doing data entry it is clipped): https://sandbox.esignlive.com/auth?target=https%3A%2F%2Fsandbox.esignlive.com%2Fpackages%2F81004219-a8a6-4172-a002-9862e979904f%2Fsign&loginToken=Mi4xMDAwLlNSeHVYMERXTjVvPS5MeFVyZGpDakk0eFpRUzQ2TUlIWGtVZ3Arbmd2ZDhuczZFa21uaUJJR0RQL3RiRmhNSytNUklFbkYwSnM0RGtpeCt5TXI0eUdpZWs9 I've attached a couple of screenshots.

Attachments

0 votes
Great! TEXT_AREA seems to resolve the issue. Thanks again!

0 votes
My pleasure :)

Hello! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but haven't signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off